Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Autobiography of a Neem Tree

Autobiography of a Neem Tree
  Author: Rizwan Ahmed Memon

I am large, grown up Neem tree, standing on the levee of River Indus in village Akil, Sindh, Pakistan. I can’t really remember who sowed me and when, but people say I was sown two or three decades ago by a villager. Beside me is a shallow body of water and next to it there is River Indus. As I am on up on a levee, down it are lovely fields and some other trees. I am all alone up here.

People often come and rest under me. Specially, cattle herders, people who graze cattle, like: goatherds, cowherds, shepherds, and buffalo grazers. In addition, people with their friends come and hang out here under me when it is hot day because they get fresh air as I am up as if on a hill. 

I am strong enough to face the wind and rain. I love sunsets and sunrises. Every day I start my day with more enthusiasm to provide my service to human beings in the form of my dense shadow.

Many people in my life have come and gone. One person named Rizwan, has never left me since he started coming to me. Firstly, he used to come with some friends and hang out with them by laughing, joking and chatting, but now he comes alone with a pen and some papers in his pocket. He is quiet and kind. He gently touches me and sometimes climbs up on me to watch village graveyard and see the world from a distance. I appreciate his love and company.

I have experienced many aspects of humans’ lives and have learned a lot about them. I have seen many people in my life from kind and caring people to merciless hunters and heartless woodcutters, anglers, and from rich to poor. It is an honor for me to provide humans a service of my shadow. I don’t know how long I will live still, or when someone will cut me down. However, I still want to live and benefit human beings.





For feedback:
RizwanAhmedMemon@gmail.com
www.Facebook.com/RizwanAhmedMemon
www.Twitter.com/TRLCL
Mobile: 03433846385