Sunday, May 11, 2014

(11) Peaceful Protest

Author: Rizwan Ahmed Memon


Village Akil
Larkana, Sindh, Pakistan
April 27, 2014


Dearest Seemi,

When my brother refused to support our marriage, I was very angry at first and couldn’t bear that injustice. I started to raise my voice against the injustice violently. Then I realized my harsh talk was only adding to the anger and conflict. Then I tried to convince my brother through peaceful, thought-provoking, and civilized protest.

No matter how happy a man can look outwardly, he or she can never be happy inwardly when he or she is doing an injustice to someone. We, as humans, have a conscience that keeps us human. A sense of right and wrong can make us aware of our deeds. Man can grow greedy and act unjustly to others, but he or she will never have inner peace after having deceived and exploited others. I am a very big fan of Martin Luther King, Gandhi, and Nelson Mandela. They always supported nonviolent protest for their rights.

I started to write about injustice. I shared quotes from Gandhi on social media, which reached my brother, my friends, and the whole world. Gandhi’s words if read carefully, can shake one’s mind and heart. Gandhi’s ideas helped me a lot. Through all this advocating, my brother’s conscience was gradually making him feel guilty inwardly. The conviction of his guilt gave him a sense of wrongdoing. He realized that he was snatching someone’s rights and happiness, and that being an elder brother and in charge of the home, he was supposed to help us. Though I made my share of mistakes, he never held them against me because whatever I did was a reaction to his injustice to me.

Well, Seemi, I forgive and forget nearly every wrong work that someone does to me. He is my own brother, so I will forgive and forget whatever he has done. He has always been supportive of me. I am thankful to him.

By the way, I will miss writing these letters to you! How will I write letters to you when we are together? I need to find some way to continue our letters. 


Yours forever,
   Rizwan

No comments: