Monday, February 24, 2014

(3) It is Valentine’s Day


Author: Rizwan Ahmed Memon


Village Akil
Larkana, Sindh, Pakistan
February 14, 2014

Dearest Seemi,

It is Valentine’s Day today, and I had planned that we would be married on this day, but none of my plans have worked out. Half of my family has separated and moved to the city. As you know, we are dependent on our parents when it comes to our marriage. February passed, leaving us apart.

My family was ready, too, but your father told them to wait until March. Now, my family has its own problems, so they are not working towards our wedding. What can we do? All that we can do is wait.

By the way, I plucked a rose in the morning from the hostel garden and kept it in the book I have been reading. The rose was as soft as your hands and smelled like your hair. Every time I looked at it, your face came before my eyes, especially the moment when I first saw you after our engagement. I have seen you only a few times and have hardly heard your voice. Oh, Seemi, I don’t know when we will be together forever, and I will be able to watch your face for hours and listen to your voice.

It is evening now and I am upstairs in my room. Though the rose, which I brought in the morning, has almost turned dry, it still has that fragrance. I feel the relationship between the smell and the rose is like our relationship. No matter what condition they are in, they still cling to each other. Our circumstances keep us apart, but our love will always be there like the smell of the rose.

Yours forever,
Rizwan

No comments: