Saturday, June 14, 2014

(13) Since the Day You Came into My Life

Author: Rizwan Ahmed Memon

Village Akil
Larkana, Sindh, Pakistan
June 13, 2014


Dearest Seemi,

How are you? How is your family? It is going to be a month since we got married! Yesterday when you went to visit your parents, I kept thinking about when you will return. Since the day you came into my life, my life has been filled with color.

I still remember when I was in the university away from my home. I hardly ever laughed. Now you have come into my life and I am back in my homeland, so there is always a smile on my face. Being away from you and my homeland was painful.

When I used to come home on holidays and meet my family, I couldn’t hold back my tears. I used to burst into tears when my mother hugged me. Oh Seemi, gone are those days of separation and distance.

Seemi, the love you have given me is precious and unforgettable. My poems show how highly I value you and your love. Sometimes I feel my poems cannot show the extent of your worth. If I used all the words of all the dictionaries in the world, your worth could still not be defined. My words are weak and they don’t come easily. Your beauty, your soft voice, your tender touch, your innocent face, and your purity of thought inspire me to write about love.

Today after many days, I went for a long walk to the river. Suddenly a heavy wind started to blow. Dust and sand mixed up in the air and nothing could be seen. Dust was all around. I closed my eyes, put my hands on my ears, and stopped along the way on the levee. I waited until the wind died down, and then I went to the riverbank and sat there for a long time. The wind started to blow again!

The waves were so high. As if the River Indus were an ocean! Your memory started to flash, your voice started to echo, and I felt you were just sitting with me there on the bank. My thoughts flashed back to the first time we saw each other, and the day we got engaged. How strange this must be to many people that even though we were engaged, we never talked on the phone and never met for almost five years because of our religious and family customs.

When I came home, it was almost night. I was out for a long time. When you are at home, I don’t go out for that long now! And when you go to visit your parents, I feel like my time stands still!

Seemi, I am so happy with you. Thank you for coming into my life. I will come to get you after your brother’s wedding. Enjoy the time with your family and relatives. Soon I will come over to see you.


Yours always,
  Rizwan

No comments: